Lisa's Big Ride Across America

Lisa's Big Ride Across America
I will try to update this blog regularly and keep you all informed on how I'm doing and the amazing things I'm experiencing. Thank you all for your support. Looking forward to sharing my journey with you. I hope you all are having a wonderful, exciting summer! Stay active, stay healthy, and peace to all. Lisa

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Day 48 (8/11) Clarksburg, MD to Washington DC


Washington DC (Potomoc?)

Arriving into the city, Washington Monument is ahead in the distance
at the Old Post Office where we are to eat our final meal together at a Greek restaurant
Sean, Brack, Jean Anne, David, Andy?
Ane and Helyn?

Helyn and Trish
Liz and Andy

Bob, the Greek rest. owner (a 1998 Big Rider), Jean Anne, Michael, another 1998 Big Rider
Trish and Alison
All of us who stayed with the same host family in Seattle before the ride started. The first people I met! We all made it! Margo, Mike, me, Dan, Bob, Jodi, Helyn, Justine
Greg, Michael, David, Margo

Our last time all together
outside the Old Post Office
Kelly
Kelly


Floyd and Mary celebrating while waiting at the staging area before riding to the finish line
the staging area



a seven person bike you can rent and tour the city !?!
Adam - checking out his cue sheet for the last time (and maybe for the first time today)
Jeff - still eating in staging area

Floyd and I - before we start riding to the finish line, we are crossing the finish line together
me
my parents and I at the finish line - I did it!
me, Jean Anne and Brack at the finish line
finish line ceremony with National American Lung Association speaker

56.39 miles (including ride to hotel)
14.0 mph average
Got up early today, first time I've done that on this entire trip. Was nervous, excited and extremely sad. This is it - our last ride. I wanted to savor it, but I also couldn't wait to get there. I was worried about getting there by 10:30 too. I rode the whole way into DC without stopping until I got off the bike path in DC and took a picture of the water (I'm guessing the Potomoc, but I'm not sure) to show that I made it. I rode right past the water stop/check point. It was a beautiful ride, if I wasn't in such a unsettled state, I would have taken pictures. We rode past horse farms, very large older mansions and lots of rolling hills. In the mansion area we rode through in Maryland right outside DC we passed LOTS of other cyclists out for their Saturday morning club rides. It was strange seeing so many "other" cyclists on the road, usually we are the only group. The traffic picked up as we approached the city. We got on a very busy bike path for the last 7 miles that took us into the city of DC. I think it was more dangerous than the roads, there were hundreds of people jogging and slow bike riders mixed in with fast cyclists weaving around all of them at very high speeds. It was pretty crazy, but nice to see so many active people. We rode over the C&O Canal and it's bike trail. After stopping in the city to take a picture of the water and have a snack, Bob, Jodi, and the Dimmitt's caught up with me (they were stopped at the water stop ). We rode into the mall area together and Andy and Steven soon joined us too. It was an amazing feeling to be on the mall, to see Washington monument and the Lincoln memorial. We were savoring our time together. Many were not ready to see their families yet and were hoping they didn't pass them as we rode through the finish line area on our way to the Old Post Office to eat. The Old Post Office was our last meal together and the last time we would all be together as part of the Big Ride. It was so sad. It was wonderful to congratulate everyone as they got there, since I was the first group to get there, but it was so sad to say goodbye. It was our special time before we dispersed at the finish line with our family and friends. It was really nice to get to be with everyone and relax for a while before having to go outside and line up in the staging to ride to the finish. Some former big riders showed up to congratulate us and took a final group photo for us. Eventually it was time, we had to leave and begin to line up. I was really dreading the end. But it came and I rode across the finish line with Floyd (my fellow photographer friend). My family had a great banner for me and it was nice to see everyone. We got together for Pollie to give out certificates and for the National ALA speaker to congratulate us and then we were off to unload our luggage from the truck for one last time at the hotel. I checked in to the hotel and had some time by myself to attempt to adjust and digest what just ended so abruptly it felt before I was meeting my family to go to my Uncle's house for dinner.
It was an amazing, life changing trip with wonderful people. I will cherish these memories forever and will think of each person I shared the last 7 weeks with often. They will each touch my everyday life when some silly little thing reminds me of one of them. I guess I have to try to adjust to everyday life again, which I am really not looking forward to. Nothing compares to the beautiful simplicity, activeness, adventure, doing what you absolutely love, beautiful scenery, and support and friendship from our community that was each day of the Big Ride!



No comments: