Lisa's Big Ride Across America

Lisa's Big Ride Across America
I will try to update this blog regularly and keep you all informed on how I'm doing and the amazing things I'm experiencing. Thank you all for your support. Looking forward to sharing my journey with you. I hope you all are having a wonderful, exciting summer! Stay active, stay healthy, and peace to all. Lisa

Friday, August 3, 2007

Day 36 (7/30) Valparaiso, IN to Kendallville, IN

Vern and a large farm vehicle that we shared the road with. Vern collects abandoned toys that are left on the side of the road and gives them a free ride across the country on his bike - among them are Trix the rabbit, the mouse? from Charlotte's Web, and a two headed talking dragon.

Ane
Brian and Phil
Andy and me
a train over the tunnel
Andy

Andy and Ane
This beautiful farm where we decided to plop down and take a break. The flowers were beautiful!

Andy
Ben


Larry, the 1999 big rider who served us fresh pastries and local canteloupe at our water stop today. He was great to talk to!
somehow Ane ended up in the soybeans today. We're not really sure how it happened, but all of a sudden we found her a ways off in the field. We saw her smile, so we immediately took out our cameras to get a picture - knowing she wasn't hurt.
What I would call a giraffe-poodle. Others call it an alpaca. It just kept running laps back and forth along its track that it created.

112.87 miles
14.8 mph average

This was our second longest day of the ride. I was exhausted this morning and got off to a very slow start. I was riding slower than ever. Our first water stop was given to us by a 1999 big rider named Larry. He was a great guy to talk to and had a amazing spread for us that included local Indiana cantelope and fresh baked cinnamon buns! There was so much food!! He also had little Big Ride Across America bike stickers made up for us and gave them out. He was really great to talk to and very encouraging. With only a handful of riding days left, he reminded us to take time and smell the roses and not rush our way through each ride. He discussed some hardships we would face once the ride ended and we had to get on with our daily lives again. It was really nice to get the perspective of a former rider. I rode with Andy most of the day today. It was nice to ride with someone new and chat about our lives. We rode through Amish country today and passed many horse and buggys. I got my first flat of the trip today! I jinxed myself because earlier that day I said I was hoping to make it to the end without any flats. Sure enough, later that day my rear wheel was flat. I guess going about 2500 miles without a flat is pretty impressive.

No comments: