Lisa's Big Ride Across America

Lisa's Big Ride Across America
I will try to update this blog regularly and keep you all informed on how I'm doing and the amazing things I'm experiencing. Thank you all for your support. Looking forward to sharing my journey with you. I hope you all are having a wonderful, exciting summer! Stay active, stay healthy, and peace to all. Lisa

Friday, August 3, 2007

Day 39 (8/2) Sandusky, OH to Burton, OH

strummin' outside the Rock-N-Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland
David and I
Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame (we weren't allowed to take pictures inside)
outside of Burke Lakefront Airport - Uncle Steve, this is for you, I can't tell you anything about it though...sorry
Floyd


a beautiful sunrise that looked a lot more beautiful in person. I couldn't get the exposure right, no matter how many different ones I tried.
Cleveland Cleveland
92.69 miles
13.6 mph average

I am always so excited to get to camp the day of a rest day. I didn't take a break from riding today until our check point at about mile 50. We rode along Lake Erie for the beginning of the day. The lake went on for as far as you could see. We then entered Cleveland and rode right through the city. Some people took a break to go see the Indians play. I took a long break at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with David. So much for getting to camp early to start my rest day. The NPR Story Corps trailer was parked outside of the museum and we talked with the NPR folks for a while too. The hall of fame was $20 to get in but one of the public radio guys was a member and gave us a two for one coupon! It was a lot of fun! They had so much cool stuff to look at. We only got to see about half of it because the reality that we still had 40 more miles to ride was hanging over our heads and we decided we really needed to get going. We were really late for only having ridden 40 miles. We got about 10 miles away and it started drizzling and we started hearing thunder. It wasn't supposed to rain today. David didn't have any raingear with him. Eventually, we pulled over and I put on my dorky rain helmet cover and just then the sky opened up into a terrific storm. 3 inches of rain fell in less than an hour. We stood on the side of the sidewalk in this extremely rich neighborhood of mansions and huddled under small trees completely soaked. I had my raincoat on though, but the rest of me was wet. It was freezing and wind was about horizontal at times with hail falling. It really was an impressive storm that never seemed to move away from us. The thunder and lightening were still directly over us for some time. Eventually, the rain let up a bit and we decided to get going. We stopped at a CVS so David could buy a rain poncho and called our crew to let them know where we were, since we knew most people were already at camp and the route was close to closing. We had twenty miles left to ride. Eventually, the rain stopped just as the hills began. We haven't seen hills in days, and boy were they back. These were steep rollers welcoming us and preparing us for the even steeper Alleganys that lie ahead - the hardest part of our trip. We got to camp just after 6pm with stories of the storm to tell! Burton is a beautiful little town that I am excited to explore tomorrow on my rest day. We are staying at the fairgrounds a short walk from the middle of town. Only 7 more riding days left - I can't believe it!

No comments: