Lisa's Big Ride Across America

Lisa's Big Ride Across America
I will try to update this blog regularly and keep you all informed on how I'm doing and the amazing things I'm experiencing. Thank you all for your support. Looking forward to sharing my journey with you. I hope you all are having a wonderful, exciting summer! Stay active, stay healthy, and peace to all. Lisa

Thursday, August 9, 2007

Day 43 (8/6) - Washington, PA to Confluence, PA

Kelly and Margo on the bike trail (my flash couldn't expose it properly)
one of the many great bridges over the Yough. River on the bike trail
view down from the bridge
another beautiful bridge


Our destination today is Confluence - 27 miles away. We aren't taking the trail all the way to Maryland or to DC. But it sure is amazing to see a sign that says DC 279 miles, since it was 3300 miles away when we started!
view of the river from the bike trail



a beautiful farm along the road earlier in the day today
the park we rode through this morning along Mingo Creek - it was absolutely beautiful and reminded me a lot of the woods at home.
our bike route with some riders up ahead

beautiful covered bridge in the park
90.84 miles
12.8 mph avge
This comes close to tieing with Wisconsin for our most beautiful day on the bike. It also reminds me the most of home in the Catskills where I spend a lot of time. We rode along the Pennsylvania bike route "S" today through a park along the Mingo Creek. It was beautiful! Then, in West Newton, PA we got on the Great Allegany Passage - a bike trail that goes from Pittsburgh to Cumberland, Maryland, where it meets up with the C&O Canal bike trail that goes to Wash DC (the C&O canal trail supposedly is more rough and requires a mountain bike). We rode along the Youghiogheny River for the rest of the day. It was beautiful on the trail. It was a little hard to ride 50+ miles on it today though because it was so straight and monotonous. We were provided lunch today in a town along the trail - Connellsville by a 2000 big rider and his wife. We rode through the town of Ohiopyle at the end of the day- a rafting town; the Yough. River is famous for rafting. Stopped and relaxed in town with Adam and Margo for a while. Rode extremely fast to get into camp by six and make it to dinner - only to find out that there was nothing I could eat (it was all creamy dairy). I wish I had known that ahead of time - I would have eaten in Ohiopyle. Instead I had some salad, chips and cookies for dinner. Oh, well. Tent is still soaked from last night but my things inside are almost totally dry. Good chance of rain again tonight. It looked like it was going to rain all day today too, but it only drizzled a little.


No comments: